Wednesday 2 May 2007

Short Film In The UK

My university dissertation was very well received - was I surprised just how highly it was marked? - yes, I was! Don't follow my example to a first-class degree mark, as I ignored most of what the tutors were advising. There was classes put on to help students write, set-out, and research their dissertations, as well as constant tutor/student progress meetings, of which I attended none.

I was taken aback by how some of my fellow students were treating the 'system', as if you needed to follow it in order to succeed. It wasn't as if I knew any better but I wasn't going to write a professional-looking piece of work by following guidelines that were really created for students who simply could not think for themselves. My advice to students writing their dissertations is simply: work to create something different, that hasn't been done before. If you can write it well, show you've done plenty of research, and critically analyse every shred of evidence you put forward, you'll be close to a first class grade.

Anyway, enough of that. Here is my dissertation serialised:

What I wanted to do was investigate what opportunities there were for new filmmakers to break into the British film industry through short film. Click on the chapter link to read the article:

1. Short Film: A brief critical history

2. Short Film In The UK: Screen Yorkshire and the Independents

3. Short Film In The UK: Film Festivals and Competitions

4. Short Film In The UK: Technology and the Tiny Screen

5. Short Film In The UK: Availability, Audience, and the Future

6. ‘Okay, we’re done’: The story of my first short film

7. Short Film Take II: The Trouble With Mr. Goldman

8. Short Film In The UK: Recommended Links

No comments: